High intensity interval training (HIIT) is a great way to get fit and lose belly fat in just 10 minutes. HIIT is a type of exercise involving brief bursts of intense activity followed by brief periods of rest or low-intensity activity. This type of workout is designed to challenge your body and metabolism in a different way than low-intensity, steady-state exercise. This 10-minute HIIT workout is designed to target the abdominal muscles and help you burn fat in the process.
What You’ll Need
This workout requires minimal equipment. You just need a mat or a soft surface to exercise on and a timer to track the intervals. You may also want to have a water bottle on hand in case you need to take a break and hydrate.
The 10-Minute HIIT Workout
The following is a 10-minute HIIT workout consisting of five exercises repeated twice. Each exercise should be performed for 30 seconds with a 10-second break in between exercises. After completing two rounds of the five exercises, take a 2-minute break.
- Plank: Start in a forearm plank position and hold for 30 seconds.
- Bicycle crunches: Lie flat on your back with your hands behind your head. Bring your left knee up to your chest while you bring your right elbow up to meet it. From here, move your right leg out until it is a little less than parallel to the ground. Return to the beginning position, then move your left elbow to your right knee. Repeat this motion for 30 seconds.
- Burpees: Start standing. Squat down and place your hands on the ground in front of you. Jump your feet back and into a plank position. From here, jump your feet back up towards your hands and jump into the air, extending your arms above your head. Return to the beginning position and repeat for 30 seconds.
- Mountain Climbers: Start in a plank position with your arms fully extended. Bringing one knee up towards your chest, switch legs and repeat for 30 seconds.
- Russian twists: Sit on the floor with your legs at a 90-degree angle. Holding your hands out in front of you like you would when doing a crunch, move your upper body to the left while keeping your legs in place. Return to center and repeat the motion on the right side. Continue to alternate sides for 30 seconds.
- Is HIIT effective for losing belly fat?Yes, studies show that HIIT workouts can be effective for reducing fat in the abdominal area.
- Is this 10-minute HIIT workout enough for me to see results?While consulting a doctor or qualified health professional is always the best approach to assess your individual needs, 10 minutes of HIIT several times per week can be a great start to achieving your fitness goals, including reducing belly fat.
- Should I do this workout every day?Since HIIT workouts are intense, it is important to rest between workouts. It is best to do this 10-minute HIIT workout no more than 3 times a week, with at least one day of rest in between.
What should I eat before and after doing this workout?Before the workout, you should make sure to eat a meal that is rich in carbohydrates and proteins to fuel your muscles and give you energy to push through the workout. This could be anything from a bowl of oatmeal and an egg, to a turkey sandwich and a banana.
Before your workout, you should also make sure to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
After the workout, it is important to replenish the carbohydrates and proteins that you have burnt off. Try to eat a meal within 30 minutes to an hour of completing your workout that includes lean proteins, healthy carbs, and vegetables. Something like grilled chicken, brown rice, and a side of vegetables makes a great post-workout meal. Additionally, it is important to drink plenty of water after your workout to rehydrate and aid in muscle recovery.