: A Guide
Fasted workouts have surged in popularity in recent years, with many people touting them as a way to get leaner and lose fat more quickly. But what exactly are fasted workouts and are they really effective?
In this guide, we’ll cover what fasted workouts are, the potential benefits you can experience, and how to properly structure your training in order to realize the most fat loss.
What are Fasted Workouts?
Fasted workouts refer to exercising in a fasted state, which is when your body is in a state of carbohydrate deprivation after an extended period of fasting (typically 8-12 hours). When you start training in a fasted state, your body is more sensitive to carbohydrates and thus burns more fat for energy rather than relying on glucose (sugar).
Potential Benefits of Fasted Workouts
There are a number of potential benefits to performing fasted workouts, including:
- Increased fat burning due to the body burning more stored fat rather than glucose.
- Increased insulin sensitivity, which may help to reduce body fat.
- Decreased inflammation, which can lead to better overall health.
Structuring Your Training
How you structure your fasted workouts depends on your goal and fitness level. Fasted workouts can be done first thing in the morning, or later in the day after an extended fast. If you are doing a morning fasted workout, it’s important to focus on low-intensity aerobic exercises such as walking, jogging, biking, or light weightlifting for 25-40 minutes. If you’re doing a fasted workout in the afternoon, you can go for a more intense workout as your body is more carbohydrate depleted.
- A: It is not recommended to eat directly before a fasted workout, as the food can negate the benefits of exercising in a fasted state. If you do need to eat beforehand, it is best to have a light meal high in proteins and healthy fats such as eggs, nuts, or nut butter 15-30 minutes prior to exercising.
- A: Yes, fasted workouts can be safe as long as you listen to your body and don’t over-exert yourself. If you experience lightheadedness, dizziness, or fatigue, it is best to take a break, have a snack, and refuel.
- A: It is best to do fasted workouts 2-3 times per week in order to reap the benefits without overdoing it. Make sure to pair your fasted workouts with a balanced diet for optimal fat loss and overall health.
Q: Can I eat before a fasted workout?
Q: Is it safe to do fasted workouts?
Q: How often should I do fasted workouts?
Fasted workouts can be a great way to optimize your fat loss, but it is important to make sure that you structure your workouts properly in order to get the most out of it. Follow the tips above and focus on a balanced diet in order to experience the ultimate fat loss benefits.