Hey Fitness Enthusiast! Are you looking to challenge your lower body without leaving your comfort zone? Sometimes it becomes impossible to get to the gym due to commitments and heavy workload. Therefore, people look for home leg workouts to try in comfort.
First, why do home leg workouts matter? Having strong legs is crucial for achieving fitness goals and everyday activities. Whether you are deadlifting a heavy barbell, running a marathon walking up a flight of stairs, or simply picking up a squirming toddler, you need leg muscles to get the job done.
You may be wondering where to start home leg workouts. Here we will mention some primary home leg workouts to incorporate into your workout regime.
Don’t forget to warm up!
Top Home Leg Workouts
A good, old, and ideal go-to stretch home leg workout is squat. Squats can be difficult at first, as sometimes you naturally want to bend your knees. Research shows that squats activate those muscles that support the lower back.
You can practice:
- Back squats
- Front squats
If you are sitting on a chair, lean forward, lift yourself slightly, and remove the chair, so the weight is on your heels. There is your squat position!
Have you ever thought that tieing shoelaces is practicing lunge? If you are looking for a perfect home leg workout, practice lunges.
Some common lunges to perform at home include:
- Walking lunges
- Reverse lunges
- Lateral lunges
One of the best ways to practice lunges is walking. You can start walking lunges with your feet together. Take one long step forward and lower your other leg. Keep your front shin vertical and your rare foot stretched out behind you.
You can perform this exercise with your body weight only. Take your yoga mat and hit the ground to perform this exercise.
Here is how to perform glute bridge home leg workouts:
- Lie on the ground with face up and bent knees
- Place your fit hip-width apart
- Engage your core, glutes, and hamstrings to lift your hips towards the ceiling
- Hold for a moment and return to starting position
- Repeat this pose five to six times
- Build your glute bridges routine slowly
One of the best home leg workouts is the side leg raise. You can easily raise your leg without any equipment or gym.
Here is how to practice side leg raise:
- Lie on one side on the ground – with stacked legs on the top of each other
- You can lift your upper body with your forearm or rest flat on the ground
- Now lift your upper leg towards the ceiling
- Hold it for a few seconds & return to the starting position
- Practice the same with the second leg
- Repeat the side leg raise with both legs five to ten time
What an ideal hip-hinge movement! You can warm up your hamstrings with a good morning home leg workout.
Here is how you can perform it:
- Stand upright with your feet hip-width apart
- Put your arms behind your head
- Hing at your hips with soft knees
- Keep your legs straight and bend forward with a flat back
- Stop when your chest becomes parallel to the ground
- keep bending until you feel a stretch
- Start to the returning position and repeat it again
You can practice this good morning workout with a barbell on your traps!
Also, Read – 10 Effective Stretches for Lower Back Pain
Get ready for another perfect home leg workout that is warrior balance.
Here is how you can practice it:
- Stand upright on the ground
- Lift your knee to hip height in front of your body
- Bend your elbows to your shoulders to start the warrior balance workout
- Hinge forward on your hips – extend your arms forward and leg backward
- Keep your standing leg slightly bent as your torso becomes parallel with the floor.
- Pause for a second, then reverse the movement to return to starting position.
- Perform all your reps, then repeat on the other side.
Wall sit is an ultimate true test of stamina and strength in the fitness department. Also, it is one of the cheapest home leg workouts you can do.
Here is how you can practice it:
- Find a smooth wall to lean your back against it
- Lie on one side on the ground
- Lift your upper leg to make a right angle
- You can feel the stretch when your thighs become parallel to the ground
- Return to the starting position
- Repeat this wall sit workout three to four-time
Also, Read – Static Stretchings
Would you like to increase strength, balance, and power? You can perform step-ups as these are one of the best home leg workouts.
To perform step-ups:
- Pick an elevated surface or a bench one foot high in front of you
- For weights step-up, you can hold the dumbbell in each hand
- Place your right foot on the bench
- Now step onto the bench with your entire right foot
- Step down with your left foot to return to the starting position
- Repeat this three to four times with each leg
Here are another one of the perfect home leg workouts. You can perform the hip thrust to build your strength and size in the glutes.
Here is how to practice hip thrust:
- Sit near an elevated surface like a bench or sofa to lift your weight through your hands
- Set up by squeezing your back down the bench, knees bent and feet flat on the ground shoulder-width apart
- The bench should be positioned just below your shoulder blade and your legs should make a 90-degree angle
- Drop your butt down to the ground and stop where your torso forms a 45-degree angle
- Squeeze your glutes at the top and then return to the starting position
- Repeat the hip thrust four to five times
Last but not least, you can work with the core muscles of your leg with help of the Bulgarian split squat. Here is how to practice Bulgarian split squat home leg workouts:
- Stand in front of a 2 feet high bench, facing away
- Lift your leg behind and place it on the bench
- Slightly forward at your waist and lower down on your left leg
- Stop when your left thigh becomes parallel to the ground
Return to the standing point and keep repeating this pose!
Home Leg Workouts – Final Words
Here is all about home leg workouts! We have mentioned the top 10 home leg workouts to practice at home without any equipment. One of the best home leg workouts is walking which improves your health, burns calories, and builds stamina.
And there you are, ten wonderful workouts to remind those legs that just because you are in the house, doesn’t mean they can not be doing something active! Whether you can not get to the gym or you just prefer working out at home, there is a wealth of warmups you can be doing in the comfort of your own home.