Elliptical exercise machines are a great way to lose weight. With their low-impact, easy-to-use design, using an elliptical can offer a full-body workout with cardiovascular benefits that help to burn fat, as well as tone your muscles. This guide will provide you with the essential information needed to start an elliptical exercise routine and reach your weight loss goals.
Benefits of Elliptical Exercise
- The elliptical glides you through a range of motion, placing less stress on your joints, bones and ligaments.
- Elliptical machines provide your muscles a great full-body workout.
- The cardiovascular exercise that comes with an elliptical machine helps to burn fat as well as calories.
- An elliptical exercise routine can improve your balance and coordination in addition to providing cardiovascular benefits.
Things to Consider Before You Start
- Speak with your doctor before starting any exercise routine – especially if you have any health conditions that could be impacted by the activity.
- If you are using a gym elliptical, make sure you know how to properly use the machine.
- Make sure to adjust the machine’s settings to an appropriate level for your age, weight, and health condition.
- If you are considering purchasing an elliptical machine for your home, make sure to choose a model that will fit properly in your space, and is the right size for you.
Creating An Exercise Routine
- Start slow – you don’t need to hit the elliptical at the highest level of difficulty right away. Start with short intervals of moderate intensity and build from there.
- Vary the time and difficulty of your workouts – don’t just focus on one type as it can quickly become monotonous. Aim for range in your routine.
- Include other forms of exercise as part of your routine. Elliptical riding alone won’t be enough – add in other aerobic exercises, strength training, and stretching exercises.
- Track your progress – monitor your time and intensity and compare it week to week. This will help you to chart your improvement and stay motivated.
How long should I use an elliptical at once?
It depends on your fitness level and your goals. As a general rule, you should aim to do at least 20 minutes of elliptical exercise, but if you are looking to lose weight you should aim for at least 30 minutes per session. Make sure to take regular breaks when needed, and start slow – you can build up over time.
How often should I use an elliptical to lose weight?
You’ll need to exercise at least three times a week for at least 20 minutes to begin seeing results. Consider starting with three days a week and adding more days as needed, making sure to take at least one day of rest in between workouts.
Can elliptical exercise provide me with a full body workout?
Yes, elliptical exercise can provide a full body workout. Using the hand-rails of the elliptical as well as engaging your abdominal muscles can help to provide a full-body workout.
What are the benefits of elliptical training for weight loss?Elliptical training can be an effective and efficient way to help you lose weight, as it offers numerous benefits, including:
1. Low Impact: Elliptical training is low impact and suitable for those with joint pain, as the motion is smooth and joint stress is reduced.
2. Calorie Burn: Ellipticals can provide you with an effective workout, with a higher calorie burn than walking, so you can burn more fat and calories in a shorter period of time.
3. Cardio Benefit: Inclines and resistance levels can be adjusted to match your current fitness level, and increase your heart rate for an effective aerobic workout.
4.Muscle Tone: Elliptical machines work many of the muscles in your body, including your legs, glutes and core, providing a complete body workout.
5. Variety: Ellipticals allow you to easily switch from a forward motion to backward motion or use the moving or static arm bars to incorporate an upper body workout as well.
Overall, elliptical training is a great way to help you reach your weight loss goals.