: A Guide
Sled workouts are a great way to supercharge your workout routine and maximize your fat loss goals. Not only are you incorporating weight resistance into your workout, but you are also pushing and pulling yourself across a long stretch for intense cardiovascular exercise. This type of workout is often seen in Crossfit routines, but does not require a gym membership or specialized equipment. All you need is a weighted sled and a flat, open area.
The Basics of Sled Workouts
The best way to maximize your fat-burning capabilities while doing sled workouts is to use multiple strategies. First, you want to incorporate interval training by doing short bursts of intense speed, followed by an active rest period. Second, you want to increase intensity and duration over time to challenge your body. The faster you go and the longer you can go, the more fat you will burn.
Examples of Sled Workouts
For fat loss purposes, the best type of weighted sled will be one with adjustable weights. You can start with low weights and gradually increase the resistance to suit your fitness level. Here are three sled workout examples to get you started:
Example 1: Alternating Interval Time Sprints
1. Using a loaded sled, pull the weight for 3 minutes, then rest for 1 minute.
2. Push the sled with your upper body for 3 minutes, then rest for 1 minute.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you reach 20 minutes of total elapsed time.
Example 2: All Out Speed Intervals
1. Load a weighted sled, 40-60 lbs, to your desired intensity.
2. Pull the sled at full speed for 30 seconds.
3. Rest for 1 minute after each sprint.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for 8 more rounds, for a total of 10 intervals.
Example 3: Weighted Sled Squats
1. Load the weighted sled with 40-60 lbs of weights.
2. Stand with the sled in front of you and slowly lower into a squat.
3. Push up into a standing position and slowly pull the sled forward as you walk.
4. When the sled is in front of you, slowly lower into a squat again to get a double benefit exercise.
5. Do 4 to 5 sets for maximum fat burn.
Q: What is the best way to incorporate sled workouts into my routine?
A: You should always warm up before beginning your sled workout. A good warm up should include some dynamic stretching and a few lower body exercises. As you progress, you can increase intensity and duration of your interval times.
Q: Can I use a weighted sled in different ways to increase fat burn?
A: Absolutely! Adding resistance and adjusting speed is one way to increase fat burn, but you can also add total body exercises such as weighted squats and burpees to get an even more intense workout.
Q: How many times should I do a sled workout?
A: You should incorporate sled workouts into your routine 2 to 3 days per week. You should give yourself rest days in between each sled workout to allow your body time to recover.
Sled workouts are an effective way to maximize fat loss. You can adjust the intensity and weight of the sled to suit your goals and incorporate total body exercises in order to maximize your fat burning capabilities. With the help of interval training and targeted exercises, you can incorporate sled workouts into your routine for maximum fat loss.