Learning to swim is a beneficial experience every child should have. Swimming is an important skill that can save lives and provide them with a lifelong activity they enjoy. Whether your children are just starting out, or need refreshers or even swim team preparation, swimming classes are essential. Here is a guide on swimming classes for children so that you can make the most of coming experiences.
Benefits of Swimming for Kids
Swimming is a valuable activity for children:
- Physical Benefits – Swimming is a great whole-body exercise for children. It can help strengthen their muscles, help them stay in shape and assist in overall mental and physical development.
- Confidence – Taking swimming classes can help build a child’s self-esteem. Knowing they can swim can make a child feel more confident and brave.
- Safe Activity – Swimming is generally a safe activity for children. It is low impact, meaning swimming is unlikely to cause injury. Proper supervision and instruction should be taken to ensure the safety of your child.
Choosing the Right Classes
When choosing the right classes for your kids it is important to find a program that fits their individual needs. Consider their experience and ability when looking for the perfect swimming class.
- Beginners – If your child is just starting out and has little to no experience with swimming, look for classes that will teach them the basics.
- Intermediates – For children who may have taken lessons before, but need some refreshers, look for classes that will help improve their stroke techniques as well as overall technique.
- Advanced – For children who have been swimming for a while and are interested in joining a swim team, look for classes with plenty of practice in all swimming techniques and more rigorous workouts.
Using MYFITAPE to Find Classes
MYFITAPE is the ultimate swimming class finder. With a comprehensive list of swimming classes that cater to any need, you are sure to find the perfect class for your children. MYFITAPE has classes available in your area and can provide detailed information such as when classes are held, instructor experience and more.
- What age should my child start taking swimming classes? – It is best to have children start classes as soon as they are comfortable. The earlier they start, the more comfortable they will be in the water.
- Do I have to stay with my child during classes? – This can depend on the class and instructor, so it is best to check with them beforehand. Some classes will allow a parent to stay in the facility and observe and some classes may require participation.
- How often should my child take classes? – This can depend on the class and the individual strides your child is making. It is best to work with the instructor to determine the best class frequency.
Learning to swim is an invaluable experience for children that can help them develop in many aspects throughout their lives. With the right swimming classes and practice, your children can safely and confidently learn how to swim. MYFITAPE can make finding the perfect class easier and more efficient.
What age groups are eligible for swimming classes for kids?Swimming classes for kids typically accept children of ages 3 to 12. However, the minimum age for each class depends upon the swimming class provider.
What safety precautions are taken for kids during swimming classes?Swimming pool safety precautions for children include having a qualified lifeguard on duty whenever the pool is in use, using U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets, using swimming aids such as kickboards, making sure the pool is secure from entry when not in use, and teaching children the basics of swimming safety. In addition, teaching children about safety signs (such as signs for ‘no diving’ and ‘no running’) as well as water safety rules are essential for keeping children safe in the pool.
How much do swimming classes for kids typically cost?The cost of swimming lessons for kids varies by provider, location, and the class type. Generally, private lessons cost around $30 – $50 per hour, while group lessons typically cost between $20 and $60 per session. Some providers may also offer package deals that include multiple classes, which can significantly reduce the cost per class.
What types of swimming classes are available for kids?Swimming classes for kids can vary significantly depending on the age of the child and the instructor’s qualifications. Some common types of swimming classes for kids include:
• Infant Survival Swimming: This type of swimming class is designed for infants and young babies and teaches them the basics of floating and survival skills.
• Learn-to-Swim: These classes are designed to introduce basic swimming skills to children of all ages.
• Parent/Child Swim Lessons: These classes are a great way for parents to have some quality time with their children, while teaching them important swimming skills.
• Pre-Competitive/Competitive Swimming Teams: These classes are designed for older children who are looking to become competitive swimmers and build their endurance, stroke technique, and overall swimming ability.
• Adaptive Swimming: This type of swimming class is designed for children or adults with physical or developmental disabilities.
• Adult Swim Lessons: These classes are designed for adults to learn basic swimming techniques, or to help them become more comfortable in the water.