Swimming is an important skill to have and helps kids stay active while having fun. As parents, teaching your children to safely utilize the water can provide them with a lifetime of enjoyment. Here’s a guide to help you get started!
Step 1: Create a Plan
Before you or your child first gets in the water, it is important to create a plan on how swimming lessons will be taught. Consider questions such as:
- How much time can you devote to swimming each week?
- Do you know how to swim and feel comfortable in the water?
- Are you comfortable teaching your kid to swim?
- Are you willing to hire a professional instructor?
Step 2: Begin Lessons
Now comes the fun part- teaching your kids to swim! Depending on their age and swimming ability, different methods may work better for some kids than others. Here are some tips on teaching your children to swim:
- Start with Shallow Water: For younger children, the pool or body of water you begin with should be shallow enough for them to stand in. This will make them feel more secure and confident.
- Teach Them Strokes: After they become comfortable in shallow water, begin teaching them the basic strokes, such as the crawl and breaststroke. A combination of instruction and practice will help them get the hang of it pretty quickly.
- Review Basic Safety Rules: Show them where and when it is safe to swim and review the basics of water safety, such as never going into the water alone.
Step 3: Find the Right Instructor
When you are teaching your kids to swim, having an expert to provide additional help can be very useful. That’s why using the Myfitate app can be a great resource.
- Search Local Instructors: You can quickly find swimming instructors in your area on the app. Ratings and reviews will help you pick the one that’s right for your family.
- Easy Scheduling: Once you find a local instructor, you can easily book and schedule lessons directly through the app.
- Check Availability: Myfitate’s app makes it easy to review the availability of instructors and book lessons quickly.
- At what age should I start teaching my child to swim? This can vary depending on a child’s confidence and strength level. It is best to consult a swimming instructor on the best course of action.
- Do I need a swimming instructor? Everyone’s swimming journey is different, so it could be beneficial to have an instructor help with technique and safety.
It is never too late to get your children interested in swimming and teaching them how to swim safely will give them the confidence to enjoy the water. With the right plan and the help of a good instructor, you can teach your kids to swim in no time. Myfitate’s app makes it easy to find the perfect swimming instructor for your family, so you can sit back and enjoy watching your children become confident swimmers!
At what age should parents start teaching their children to swim?It is recommended that parents start introducing their children to the basics of swimming from 6 months of age. This does not necessarily include full on swimming lessons, but rather exposing them to the water and teaching them safety around water and simple skills such as floating to help prepare them for more advanced swimming lessons from the age of 4.
How can parents make swimming an enjoyable experience for their children?Parents can make swimming an enjoyable experience for their children by focusing on fun and safety. Instead of pressing your children to learn difficult skills as soon as possible, take the time to help them become comfortable in the water first. Encourage them to practice at their own pace, and praise them for their accomplishments. Also, always make sure that your children are supervised when they are swimming and have the necessary safety equipment such as life jackets. Additionally, you can demonstrate fun, simple water activities such as dodging a beach ball or playing tag in the pool. The more fun your children have in the water, the more likely they will be to develop a positive attitude towards swimming.
What resources are available to parents who wish to teach their children how to swim?Many resources exist for parents wishing to teach their children how to swim. Local community centers and YMCAs often offer swimming classes and lessons for all ages. Other options include private swim lessons with a qualified instructor, swim schools offered through specialized organizations and preschools, and online video tutorials. Joining a swim team or participating in a parent/child swim class is also a great way to learn both the basics and more advanced swimming skills.
What safety procedures should parents keep in mind when teaching children to swim?1. Ensure the pool area is well-supervised at all times.
2. Keep close watch while children are in the water, don’t rely on lifesaving devices alone.
3. Make sure children wear Coast Guard-approved life jackets when in or near the water.
4. Make sure children know the importance of never swimming alone.
5. Instruct children to use appropriate pool safety definitions, like understanding the difference between deep and shallow water.
6. Teach children the basics of pool safety, such as not running near the pool, not pushing or dunking other swimmers, and not unsupervisedly using drains or slides.
7. Set rules and boundaries around Pool Rules that must be adhered to at all times.
8. If a child is afraid of swimming, gradually introduce them to the water and focus on building their water confidence.
9. If a child is not able to swim by themselves, teach them how to float, tread water, and be comfortable in the water.
10. Provide lessons on proper pool safety and rescue techniques.